Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga

Friday, April 19, 2024

My poor, little sick self

Surprisingly, with all my past health issues, I rarely get sick. Except for the TIA and diverticulitis in 2021 and a very minor one-day cold at the beginning of Covid, I just haven't been sick since the winter of 2018!

But I had a restless night and woke up with a scratchy throat, and I remember just how un-fun that is. My nightmares undoubtedly were the result of my impending illness. In one I dreamt that it was January 8, and I forgot that I was supposed to be teaching. I panicked and went to school, but my classroom had been gutted and no students were present. It was the school's (not) subtle way of telling me I was no longer needed. Rude!

In an effort to keep myself from walking in my sleep last night, I put a pillow on each side of me. But the tossing and turning resulting from being sick really wasn't conducive to a comfortable night's sleep anyway. I really wasn't asleep long enough to see if my experiment worked. 

But that's okay because I needed to get up early anyway. We planned to go to Table Rock for a hike and picnic with the, and I had promised to bring chocolate chip cookies. So what was I doing at 6 a.m.? Mixing cookies in the garage so as not to wake Steve. I learned my lesson years ago when my husband was going through a patch of not sleeping well. He had heard the bell on the microwave, and he was not a happy camper. In fact, I ended up buying a microwave for the garage! I rarely used it, but it gave me great satisfaction to know I could. 

So, anyway, I took my homemade cookies and trekked on part of a trail before turning around to take refuge in our car with a book. A perfect example of making lemonade out of lemons. Come to think of it, lemonade would've gone well with chocolate chip cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment