Lookout Mountain, Chattanooga

Saturday, April 2, 2011

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down!

According to Word, the title is written at an 0.5 level.

I can be slow on the uptake.  I just found out that spell-check determines the grade level of a piece fairly accurately.  In my effort to write children’s books, this feature keeps me focused.

This is fresh on my mind as I struggled to create a new story today.  Writing on the second-grade level is unbelievably challenging.  But it’s definitely fun, fun, fun.  And did I mention fun?  There’s no better description than it provides me a natural high.

Speaking of high, a flashing sign in front of a wrecked car at the local high school warns, “Do not huff while driving.”  In a letter to the editor, a concerned citizen took offense that the sign read “while driving.”  I found it humorous that he objected; he interpreted it to mean that the school must condone huffing at other times. 

I’m sure the only huffing schools promote is the huffing and puffing and blowing the house down variety.

(P.S.  This is written at a 5.8 grade level.)

No comments:

Post a Comment